1
Vote

cannot get new locally modified version to load into Visual Studio 2010

description

As of 8:17 AM 2/6/2012, I tried to make some small changes made to SharpSort on my local machine.
 
  • The "Latest Version" of the code was downloaded from the following link...
     
    http://sharpsort.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets/
     
  • The project was opened in Visual Studio 2010 and a new Solution file was saved.
     
  • The code in the class "CodeFormatter.cs" was changed as follows...
     
    // NOTE. 20120206. Old.
    //codeModel.DTE.ExecuteCommand("Edit.RemoveAndSort", "");
     
    // NOTE. 20120206. New.
    codeModel.DTE.ExecuteCommand("Edit.SortUsings", "");
     
    ...so that the "using" lines are sorted but not trimmed by use.
     
  • I made a very small change to make sure the method-count was NOT appended to the "#region Name" line, because the count is too hard to maintain when hand-coding.
     
  • I made a very small change to make the region name is appended to the "#endregion" line, because it makes the end of the region easier to view when surfing the code.
     
  • The signing key was changed from the old-key, "eVision.pfx", to a new-key, "TestKey.snk", becuse the old-key was causing compile-time-errors for an unknown reason.
     
  • The setting "Post Build Event", in the project "SharpSort.VSAddIn" and in the project "Core", was changes as follows...
     
    rem NOTE. 20120206. Old.
    rem "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe" /if "$(TargetPath)"
     
    rem NOTE. 20120206. New.
    rem "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin\x64\gacutil.exe" /if "$(TargetPath)"
     
  • The Solution had to be opened locally with a user that is a member of the "Local Administrators" group because it runs commands against the GAC in the Build Events.
     
  • Removed the Unit Tests project because it was causing unknown problems during compilation.
     
  • (Note that I did not do a reboot.)
     
  • After doing all that, and recompiling, I could not get the "new version" to load.
     
  • I have attached the complete code set, with the modified files in it, as "sharpsort-46770-mod-201202061007.zip".
     
  • How can I get my "new version" of SharpSort load?
     
    Please advise.
     
    Thanks.
     
    -- Mark Kamoski

file attachments

comments

IaxiomI wrote Feb 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Problem you are facing is very simple. Key file that was used to sign assemblies is my private key and i can't give you password.

When you change signing key, you change assembly strong name.
  1. Open SharpSort.VSAddIn.AddIn
  2. Change
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    10.0
    
    
    SharpSort
    SharpSort.VSAddIn
    C:\Program Files\SharpSort\eVision.SharpSort.VSAddIn.dll
    eVision.SharpSort.VSAddIn.Connect
    5
    0
    0
    
    
To point to new assembly location
  1. Remove all sharpsort assemblies from GAC if there are any

mkamoski wrote Feb 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Dear Iaxiom1 --

I appreciate that.

The file that I had to touch was here...

C:\Users\MyUserNameHere\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins\SharpSort.VSAddIn.AddIn

...and after changing that, it works great.

The code changes that I made are minor.

One change makes it so the "using" statements are just Sorted without running the "remove unused usings" command-- which I find better because there are time, such as when the files if 1st created and still young, that certain usings are (like System.Web.UI.WebControls) may not yet be employed but they will when the file gets a bit more developed.

The other change is the I put a closing comment after "endregion //EventHandlers" to mark the endpoint more clearly in code-- but that is stylistic preference, I grant.

If you want the code changes, then please let me know where to paste them.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski